02 April 2008

Book news

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz won The Morning News 2008 Tournament of Books. A pre-show favorite, Diaz rolled to victory over Tom McCarthy's Remainder in the final.


Several bloggers have books on the way. The prodigious Glenn Greenwald's third book in as many years Great American Hypocrites releases on April 15th. Verso Press will be publishing two books on liberal colonialist apologia: Richard Seymour's (Lenin's Tomb) The Liberal Defense of Murder and Savage Mules by Dennis Perrin.


After a few months of doing surprisingly well (for me, at least), I've slacked off on my reading again. So while I don't have a list to stack up to the Donkeyman's, I do have a few I'm especially hoping to knock off

The Complex - Nick Turse
U.S.! - Chris Bachelder
So Wrong for So Long - Greg Mitchell
War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning & What Every Person Should Know About War - Chris Hedges
The Road - Cornac McCarthy (read it before the movie comes out!)
The Yiddish Policeman's Union - Michael Chabon (likewise)
A People's History of Sports - Dave Zirin (this year, Dave!)
Overthrow - Stephen Kinser
The Trial of Socrates - I.F. Stone

...plus everything listed above.

The list goes on and on of things I'll never get to, but at least there is a list, so that's a step in the right direction.

I'll post another edition of Short, Incompetent Reviews (SIRs) soon.