28 April 2008

Monday morsels

You can watch Bill Moyers' interview with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright at the PBS site here. I'll have more to say about a bit later today.


Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct two films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit to be produced by Peter Jackson. Like Andrew O'Hehir, I come down on the skeptical side here; not because I think del Toro won't give The Hobbit a fascinating treatment, but because I'd rather see him take up more of his own visionary projects, like the brilliant Pan's Labyrinth. Watch that film, then try to imagine the same directing taking a pass at The Hobbit (which is, contrary to The Lord of the Rings, a sprightly and whimsical children's book), and I think you'll see why this is a peculiar choice.



Is this your early favorite for 2008's top documentary?



I plugged the Google Analytics tool into this site just to see if perhaps I have a massive hidden fanbase out there. Well, I don't. And that's probably for the better; I'm not sure I really want anyone reading all the faux-autodidactic idiocy I vomit up on here.


On tap for this week: